Sunday, May 27, 2007

News: White Stripes in Iqaluit coverage, and new reports from deep within Interzone to come later this week!


Things have been pretty exciting here at Heavy Vibes for the past two days. Very recently, my girlfriend was graciously given one of the coveted, extremely limited tickets to The White Stripes concert at the Arctic Winter Games Arena in Iqaluit, Nunavut! Jack and Meg will be performing here in Iqaluit on June 27th, just eight days after the release of their highly anticipated (Inuit eat this shit up, seriously!) sixth album, "Icky Thump," so expect both an album and show review from guest contributor, Le Zais, sometime around the end of next month.

But on a more serious note: what the fuck are the White Stripes doing playing a show at an overhyped hockey rink in the Eastern Arctic? And why the fuck do I keep coming to this place every summer?!

4 comments:

nabenruthnum.com said...

Throbbing Gristle. Poor Lila. But good for you. Looking forward to reading your stuff.

Har-Har said...

Hey thanks Naben! I've got a lot of free time on my hands this summer so I'm trying to update this blog as much as possible, but there should be, at the very least, one new review per week.

Hah, yeah no kidding. She once caught me listening to 20 Jazz Funk Greats and suffice to say, she was a little put-off by it, but hey, I managed to get her into both Ween and Boredoms, so it's okay if the sound of Genesis P-Orridge's voice kinda creeps her out. Lately I've been trying to get her hooked on The Residents, but we'll see how that works out.

Lila tells me you're really into metal and prog, any recommendations?

nabenruthnum.com said...

The Sound of Perseverance - Death
Destroy Erase Improve - Meshuggah
Slaughter of the Soul - At the Gates
Mardraum - Enslaved
Torture Garden - Naked City
Soundtracks for the Blind - Swans
Red - King Crimson
Heartwork- Carcass

You might have most of this stuff already. Lila listens to a lot of crap so don't feel bad.

Kidding?

Har-Har said...

The only Death albums I'm familiar with are "Gore Bloody Gore" and their self-titled one. Meshuggah I've had no exposure to whatsoever. "Slaughter of the Soul" is classic At the Gates. Never heard any Enslaved before either. I've got the Naked City "Torture Garden/L'Eng Tche: Black Box Set" in my collection at home, one of my favorite records since I was sixteen years old. I've never heard "Soundtracks for the Blind" before but I love the Swans "Cop/Young God". "Red" is maybe the best of middle-years Crimson (though "Starless and Bible Black" comes close i.m.h.o.). and last but not least, "Heartwork" is what opened my ears to technical death metal in the first place. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely have to check out Enslaved and Meshuggah!