Saturday, May 19, 2007

Review Archive Series #1: AIDS Wolf, Live Deth cdr

The following review represents one in a series of reviews published during my tenure as the resident music critic and assistant Arts Editor for The Phoenix, the official student newspaper of UBC-Okanagan in Kelowna, B.C. They are being reprinted here because I feel that while these reviews might represent a point of serious-suckitude in the developement of my writing, they are examples of my earliest attempts at criticism (if jerking off on an album's cover can be considered criticism), and above all: these albums desperately deserve the attention of your tinnitus-damaged ears.








Aids Wolf, Live Deth cdr
Kitty Play, 2005

Ask me who my favorite, currently active Canadian group is, and I’ll tell you it’s Montreal, Quebec’s AIDS Wolf. Why? This independently released 3" cdr called Live Deth, that’s why. Both sprawling and sprawled out on the floor, AIDS Wolf slashes through convention with a silkscreened straight-razor, leaving a messy trail of pink blood and white-hot strings freshly snapped from the axe of a battered guitar, the remnants of a drum kit found face down in a nearby river, minds blown in so many directions the janitor quit on the spot, “I refuse to clean this shit up (as he walks away).” Shameless, gutless, and murderous; AIDS Wolf have distilled noise-rock into a neon black slime, addictive and organic, a pulsating, thriving, deadly sound. Their full length, THE LOVVERS LP will be released in January 2006, and until then I’m left alone as this rabid disease itches and gnaws away my ears, leaving me to foam at the mouth in hot anticipation.

Exact review date unknown.